Friday, July 31, 2015

Vegan ginger peach galette with almond crust

Vegan ginger peach galette with almond crust

IS JUNE USING FRESH, SEASONAL FRUIT IN HER BAKED GOODS?

HOLY FREAKING SHIT IT APPEARS SO.

Call the police and the fireman, because hot damn if this galette isn’t the most seasonal thing to come out of the oven in, like, five days. Not to mention, it’s the first time I’ve used peaches on the blog. 

Yeah, look at those fresh-ass peaches.

It also appears to be the first time I’ve ever made a galette, that more rustic cousin of the pie usually made, at least these days, with a free-form crust and various fruit fillings. Not being much of a pie person, I was slow on the uptake in making one. I’ve wanted to make a galette for literally years. Perhaps after seeing yet another talented blogger post a gorgeous, perfectly styled galette, I told myself “I am going to make one of those sometime”, but was drawn back to making heavily-frosted cakes and pancakes in the meantime.

It was only after seeing How Sweet It Is’ post about a peach galette with a gingery filling and a crust gilded with sliced almonds that I was motivated to try this fruity pie-like confection. And am I glad.

I used a (surprisingly easy) coconut oil crust but kept the rest of the tart the same. The result is a not-too-sweet, intensely flavorful dessert that would probably go excellently with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

And here's where I'd put a scoop of vanilla ice cream...IF I HAD ANY.

If you aren’t a huge fan of ginger (like my mother), then maybe you could go easy on the ginger in the filling. Me? I thought it was the perfect amount. Not too strong to overwhelm the delicate flavor of the fresh peaches.

(Side note: it’s weird, isn’t it, how often I mention my mother’s food preferences. It’s like a meme pertaining entirely to this blog. There’s probably some psychoanalysis-related conclusions I could make based on that, but I’ll save those for later.)

ANYWAY. Here’s the recipe.

___________

Vegan ginger peach galette with almond crust

Adapted from How Sweet It Is

Makes 1 large galette

Ingredients

Pie crust

170 grams • all-purpose flour • 1 ¼ cups

12 grams • granulated sugar • 1 tablespoon

2 grams • salt • ¼ teaspoon

56 grams • coconut oil, melted • ¼ cup

90 grams • ice cold water • ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons

30 grams • sliced almonds • 1/3 cup

Filling

300 grams • peaches, cut into ¼-inch slices • 10.5 ounces

12 grams • freshly grated ginger • 2 tablespoons

4 grams • cornstarch • 1 ½ teaspoons

12 grams • granulated sugar • 1 tablespoon

0.5 grams • ground ginger • ¼ teaspoon

2 grams • salt • ¼ teaspoon

Directions

Start by making crust. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. One tablespoon at a time, drizzle in coconut oil while mixing it in with your fingers. Keep mixing with your fingers for another 15 to 20 seconds until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to freezer for 15 minutes.

Once chilled, remove from freezer and break up the large chunks of frozen coconut oil with your fingers. Drizzle in water one tablespoon at a time, mixing with hands once again. Initially, only add 75 grams • ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon of water. If the mixture forms a solid dough when pinched between your fingers, then it is fine; if not, add the remaining 15 grams • 1 tablespoon water.

Knead the dough for a few seconds. Flatten into a disk and let rest for another 10 to 15 minutes before using.

To make filling, start by adding sliced peaches to a bowl. Stir in grated ginger, cornstarch, sugar, ground ginger, and salt. Toss well and let sit for 10 minutes.

When you are ready to make the galette, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thick on a well-floured surface. Place filling in the center of the dough, leaving at least 2 inches on all borders. Fold the crust over the peach filling. Press sliced almonds on crust and sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired.

Place galette on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until the crust and almonds are golden, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.

_________

Just...beautiful. *sniffs*

You’ll notice that my galette isn’t perfectly round or folded nice and evenly. And that’s okay. Galettes, by their very nature, aren’t perfect. They’re “rustic”, even if they’re trying to be a little classier with the ginger and the sliced almonds. Don’t be fooled.

While you’re here, check out these other pies I’ve made.



24 comments:

  1. oh my gawd, girl, you crack me up!!! Well, you picked a great FIRST peach recipe to come out with!!! dude, I say you do one week of all peach recipes just to make up for it! :P Peaches are my fave in the summer!! I love this galette! and the almond crust is winning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could do a peach week, actually--we are up to our ears in peaches over here! :) I agree, the almond crust is just fabulous :D

      Delete
  2. YUM! I'm going to make this once we get home from vacation. I love a peach galette!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, that would be awesome!! Let me know how it comes out :)

      Delete
  3. So delicious! Almonds, peaches.. ginger it sounds so tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious June, I love the addition of the ginger with the peaches for more flavour and depth -yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ginger really does bring the peach filling to another level! Glad you like it Lily :)

      Delete
  5. Hilarious! Love galettes .. so pretty and easier than pies. This one is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think I agree now, this galette was really simple to make :)

      Delete
  6. Don't replace the ginger! Love it, and peaches are fantastic too - never tried them together though, OR made a galette - this needs changed :)
    I hope you are enjoying your weekend m'dear :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must try a galette! I can now confirm that they are awesome :)

      Delete
  7. This looks and sounds AMAZING. And for the record, the more rustic-looking the better, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! I agree, rustic desserts are fun sometimes :)

      Delete
  8. This galette looks scrumptious! Peaches, almonds and ginger... can't imagine nothing more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to try making a galette!! Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious June, Love the combo of ginger, peach and almond, I haven't tried baking peach yet. May be I will try now. Thanks for stopping at my blog you have a beautiful blog. Pinning this treat for my later use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Swathi! Glad you like the tart :)

      Delete
  11. I can't believe that was your first galette! You are obviously a natural at making them. That almond crust looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! It's really not too hard though, as long as the dough is nice and cold. :)

      Delete
  12. Aren't galette's the best? I think this summer was the first time making my own galettes but they quickly took over as the go-to pie method for my summer fruit pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it might become a staple for me too! They're just so easy and satisfying :)

      Delete