Friday, April 10, 2015

Gluten-free pancake and waffle mix

gluten-free pancake and waffle mix

I know what you’re thinking. Mix? Pancake mix? Why is June, ever the pancake connoisseur, sinking to the level of a mix? Good lord, June, and it’s gluten-free!

I know. You can handle it, I think, if I can. 

But I don't know if you can handle this fluffiness.

Basically, it all started when I got that Everyday Gluten-Free cookbook in the mail. I was eager to try some recipes from it and seized on the pancakes—since, you know, I fucking love pancakes. However, it turned out that these gluten-free pancakes were actually made from a homemade mix, which is not normally something I do but I figured I would try it. So I ventured off to the store and bought a bunch of obscure ingredients (the local Indian market helped a lot) and whipped up a nice floury mix. Pretty easy.

On two occasions, I tried both the pancakes and the waffles—and I’ll have you know they were delicious. There was a little bit of cornbread flavor to it, thanks to the quantity of cornmeal in the mix. Wasn’t too prominent. Otherwise, these taste like plain old tasty pancakes, all thick and fluffy and perfect for maple syrup. The waffles worked perfectly as well.

This is before I drowned them in syrup. 

And the mix is quite convenient I’ll admit. How else can you whip up a batch of pancakes at six in the morning before school, or in the midst of a particularly bad bout of sleep deprivation? That’s right. Four ingredients: mix, egg substitute, milk, and oil. No excuse not to make pancakes or waffles now.

Ahhh gotta love that stuff.

Oh, and I’ll have you know that I sacrificed greatly to get the above shot. Pouring shots, as you probably can guess, are difficult in that you have to make sure you are aiming directly at the object which you are pouring shit on. I failed in this particular instance. See, I, ah, poured some maple syrup on my new sheet of construction paper. Yeah.

No shame.

Okay, maybe a little shame. Here’s the recipe.

_____________

Gluten-free pancake and waffle mix

Adapted from Everyday Gluten-Free

Ingredients

180 grams • cornmeal • 1 ½ cups

136 grams • sorghum flour • 1 cup

64 grams • tapioca starch • ½ cup

45 grams • quick-cooking oats • ½ cup

52 grams • ground flaxseed • ½ cup

25 grams • granulated sugar • 2 tablespoons

24 grams • baking powder • 2 tablespoons

6 grams • salt • 1 teaspoon

3 grams • baking soda • ¾ teaspoon

Directions

Simply whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl. Be sure to combine thoroughly so all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Store in a covered container and refrigerate for up to a month.

___________

Gluten-free pancakes or waffles

Ingredients

136 grams • dry mix (see recipe above) • 1 cup

100 grams • banana, mashed (or other substitute for one egg) • 1 small

162 grams • nondairy milk • 2/3 cup

9 grams • vegetable oil • 2 teaspoons

Directions

Whisk together banana, nondairy milk, and vegetable oil in a medium bowl. Stir in dry mix just until incorporated. Let stand for 1 minute.

To make pancakes, fry on a well-preheated frying pan until golden brown on each side. To make waffles, just cook in a waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Munch.

__________

CREVICES!

I haven’t made any waffles on here before, but here are some gluten-free recipes you might enjoy.

Raspberry lemon Eton mess. A pretty cool dessert that you should totally try.

Peanut butter and chocolate cake. Super rich and amazing.

Blondie brownie swirl bars with avocado frosting. I really should re-make these, because the presentation doesn’t do them justice. 

9 comments:

  1. These look wonderful, June! I'm going to share your post with my friend who is gluten intolerant.

    xo
    h

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh pouring shots well done! I have done a couple of them myself in the past and usually it never goes right, but then you get the shot that just..works! And all is well again :)
    These look deeelicious June :D Do you have that Germanic/Scandi waffle iron at home? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I didn't know that waffle iron was Scandinavian-style! The more you know :) It's just the one we've always used, nothing fancy. Makes tasty waffles too!

      Delete
  3. The rare occasions when I do pouring shots, I make someone else do it for me. :) I'm impressed by how thick those pancakes are! This means pancakes might need to be in my very near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea, having someone else do pouring shots...will have to try it sometime! I hope you do make these pancakes :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking up with Best of the Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had totally forgotten how handy it was to have homemade pancake mix around the house (which is something I used to do until my body threw its little hissy fit and stopped accepting all things good and gluten-y). It's so easy to make in big batches and bust out for breakfast and, admittedly on more than one occasion, dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really handy, even if I don't usually use that kind of thing! You should try these pancakes / waffles, they're really good :)

      Delete