Tuesday, December 29, 2015

How to Philosophize with Cake’s top 10 posts of 2015

how to philosophize with cake's top 10 posts of 2015

Another year, another one hundred thirteen posts. It seems like only yesterday that I last did this, but so much has changed since I clicked “publish” on that post that it’s hard to believe only a year has passed.

Now, with the New Year nearly upon us, I’ve been looking back on my posts throughout the year and picking out my personal favorites—not just looking at pageviews. Sure, the posts on this list are popular, but they’re also the ones I’m most proud of.

Here they are, painstakingly selected and ordered for your viewing pleasure.

10. Orange rhubarb ripple bundt cake with pistachio sauce. This cake was my foray into the Bundt Bakers group, and man was it a success. My photos really didn’t do it justice, especially that (suspiciously mossy-green) pistachio sauce—which was astoundingly delicious. I’ve been looking for an excuse to use that pistachio sauce ever since. It works wonderfully with the orange and rhubarb flavors, too.


9. Pistachio ice cream. More pistachio? Indeed! This ice cream is truly brilliant, creamy and addictive and flavorful, with no tofu aftertaste whatsoever.


8. Chocolate rugelach with cinnamon sugar. Rugelach is a little finicky to make, requiring utmost care when rolling up the cream cheese dough, but the result is very much worth the effort. This chocolate variation was one of my favorites, made just right with the cinnamon sugar topping.


7. Crème brûlée doughnuts. These were a pain in the ass to make, requiring seemingly endless steps—make the dough, let the dough rise, fry the dough, make the custard, fill the doughnuts with said custard, make caramel, dip doughnuts in said caramel, finally get to eat the freaking doughnuts—but they were absolutely worth the effort. Who could say no to caramel-dipped doughnuts, after all?


6. Chocolate hazelnut layer cake with praline chocolate crunch. A truly over-the-top, insanely rich cake with many layer and components. If I were to make it now, I probably could style it better than I did in the original post, but as we all know, looks aren’t everything. Even when it comes to cake.


5. Chocolate brownies. Where would we all be without a good old classic brownie recipe? Probably a lot thinner, that’s for damn sure. These vegan brownies definitely live up to the hype despite not being loaded with eggs or butter.


4. Cinnamon rolls. Another classic on par with brownies in terms of dangerous deliciousness. I’d been meaning to make these for the longest time, and the payoff was well worth it. Try these. I am not kidding around. They’re insane.


3. Tomato cupcakes with balsamic frosting. If anything, these cupcakes show that taking risks in the kitchen can pay off big time. I’m eternally grateful to this recipe for showing me how to swallow my fear and follow my dreams. *sniffs* It’s so beautiful, man.


2. Brownie mega cake with raspberry, rosewater, and cookie dough. I’m proud of this one. It was my first attempt at a tiered cake, and I’d say it was a rousing success. It was a Katherine Sabbath-inspired exercise in culinary extravagance, and man was it fun to make. I’m looking forward to my next opportunity to make such a monstrosity.


1. Pink-frosted devil’s food cake. Made for mother’s day this year, this cake is one of my all-time favorites. Not only because it’s freaking delicious (come on, it’s devil’s food cake), but because it is cute AF. Pink frosting? Check. Sprinkles? Check. Ganache dripping elegantly down the sides? Check. This cake could win a pageant, and that’s why it’s my favorite of the year.


That’s it for 2015, folks. See you next year!

(But don’t be surprised if I post again before the New Year. I’ve got some things up my sleeve.)

8 comments:

  1. What an insanely decadent list! That chocolate hazelnut cake - omg. Where can I get a HUGE slice of that! Can't wait to see what you have in store for 2016. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful collection!! Have a lovely New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deeeelicious! I am especially intrigued by the tomato and balsamic cupcakes! :D Your baking creativity and skills are fantastic! Looking forward to see lots more goodies in 2016. Happy new year June! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Jules, as always! Happy new year to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. That pink frosted devil's food cake takes the CAKE indeed! Great round up - looks like you've had a lot of fun this year, looking forward to more sweet treats in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did have fun in the kitchen! That's what baking is all about, isn't it? :)

      Delete