Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Classic vegan pancakes with rainbow swirl glaze

vegan rainbow swirl pancakes

Hey, ho, is anybody home? I have a survey up for y’all to take, and it’s only five questions long! Swear to god, I will love you forever if you take it. Just...take a risk, you know? Live dangerously today. CLICK HERE IF YOU’RE AWESOME!

So. Got that out of the way. Now onto the very serious and important subject of the First Blogoversary of How to Philosophize with Cake.

I’ll admit, it’s in a few days—my first (and very shitty) post was published on January 17th, 2014, and I didn’t get around to blogging again until a month and a half later on March 4th, and the first recipe was published on the sixth. So really, the blog didn’t get going until about March.

But I’ve decided to go all fuck the police and call it an anniversary right about now. Eh?

Naturally, I wondered what I should do to commemorate this Very Important Occasion. A cake? A long, weepy post about how far we’ve all come? Well, I don’t have any cake to talk about—as I said, the birthday cakes will be published when the time is right—and a long, weepy post would probably come off as desperate and cringe-worthy, so I’ve decided to go the tried-and-true route, the one I have taken from my very first recipe that March day.

Pancakes. 

Yup.

These aren’t the most impressive pancakes in the world. They’re basically plain pancakes with a bit of naturally-colored glaze. But I thought I would post them, since everyone needs a basic pancake recipe in their repertoire. The swirl of glaze piped directly on the batter did not, as I had hoped, turn them into the rainbow beauties I had dreamed of (certainly nothing as pretty as I Am Baker’s rainbow pancake stack), but did add a nice caramelized taste to the otherwise basic pancake.

Plus it was fun to smear all of that pink and green and yellow goodness all over there. I dunno. I’m a little kid at heart. 

Not that you could tell.

So consider this my one year anniversary post, honoring the excessive number of pancake recipes and inordinate amount of buttercream I have posted. Here’s the recipe.

_________

Classic vegan pancakes with rainbow swirl glaze

Adapted from my favorite pancakes

Ingredients

Pancake batter

250 grams • all-purpose flour • 2 cups

16 grams • baking powder • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon

3 grams • salt • ½ teaspoon

60 grams • dark brown sugar • ¼ cup

235 grams • nondairy milk • 1 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons

8 grams • apple cider vinegar • 2 teaspoons

28 grams • olive oil • 2 tablespoons

1 gram • almond extract • ¼ teaspoon

Rainbow glaze

120 grams • powdered sugar • 1 cup

30 grams • nondairy milk • 2 tablespoons

0.5 grams • almond extract • 1/8 teaspoon

1 gram • matcha powder • ½ teaspoon

2 grams • beet puree • ½ teaspoon

0.5 grams • turmeric • ½ teaspoon

Instructions

Start by making glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract until smooth. Divide between three small bowls and add matcha powder, beet puree, and turmeric, respectively. Add to piping bags with a very small tip cut out. Set aside while you make the pancake batter.

In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar. Pour in remaining ingredients under “pancake batter” and whisk until just combined and no streaks of flour are remaining.

Fry on a well-preheated pan. While the pancakes are cooking, pipe a swirl of either matcha, beet, or turmeric glaze on the raw batter. Flip and cook until golden brown. Top with more glaze. Munch.

_________

While you’re here, let me take this opportunity to ASK ABOUT THE SURVEY! AGAIN! and also link some similar recipes you may enjoy.

Peppermint mocha pancakes. Like a latte, but better.


Sweet potato pancakes with cranberry sauce. Any love for sweet potatoes out there?

Butternut squash pancakes with rosemary syrup. The rosemary really makes these incredible.

10 comments:

  1. Happy blogoverssary! That is so exciting! And dayum girl, you've whipped up so many goodies over the last year that I have lost count :) Thank you so much for sharing your culinary journey with us!
    And those pancakes - they just reminded me of childhood, and for some strange reason; My Little Pny and Popples. don't ask me how, I blame the multicoloured glaze :D Can't wait to see what the coming year has in store x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I used to love my little pony! Can see where you think of that. The colors are just so...fun, i guess :) looking forward to another year of blogging!

      Delete
  2. Survey - Done! Pancakes - Now Craving! Happy blogiversary or annibloggary or birthblogday or whatever. It's been a fun year. I really enjoy your posts, and am glad you decided to start this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog anniversary! These pancakes look like the perfect and fun way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that your recipe was rainbow coloured made me very happy.

    HAPPY LOGANBERRY! (*Blogaversary...I got auto corrected and I liked it... so...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loganberry? Haha what? Autocorrect, you so silly... anyway glad you like the pancakes! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Blogiversary, June! These pancakes look fantastic, but the rainbow swirl is definitely what seals the deal for me! Another awesome recipe! Thanks for linking up at the Sunday's Recipe Wrap-up!

    ReplyDelete