Sunday, May 3, 2015

Peanut butter-stuffed brownie French toast

vegan peanut butter-stuffed brownie French toast

It’s been a few minutes since I’ve mentioned music on the blog here. A tragedy, that is! There’s always new music to listen to and comment on and make fun of. So today, I decided to pick on some of music for y’all, in case you weren’t irritated enough by my typical recipe-related shtick.

First things first—let’s get some of the new Taylor Swift (or, as her new hip hop name goes, T-Swizzle) bullshit out of the way.


After the release of her brilliant post-modernist pop masterwork, 1989, it seems as if this lady, whom I once thought was an obscure country star making shitty music for teenyboppers, is unavoidable. The news articles about her “record sales”, her “innovative new style”, her “affinity for Starbucks”! The album sales are really what got me. The fact that people, in this day and age, are still buying physical copies of music by Taylor Swift blows my mind. And we call this progress. Hmmph. (Not that I’m bitter.)

And get this—apparently she might be working on some tracks with Yeezus himself. Might be dropping some sick rhymes on his new album. I’mma let you finish, Kanye, but no.

So about this song, Style. I actually haven’t listened to it in its entirety yet. Heard the first few notes of the Twizzler’s voice on the radio and changed the station. HA! Take that! Sticking it to the man over here.

Speaking of Kanye!


I found this particular single from the new album to be, as the kids these days are saying, “fire as hell”. I mean, SIA is on it. Sia is actually an earth-bound goddess of music, in case you haven’t noticed.

What about Uptown Funk / Uptown Junk / Fucktown Butt?


Oh. My. God. Need I say more? Yes, in fact, I do. Why is it that whenever I turn on the radio, this song is playing? “Hurr durr durr hur durr durr hup de doo doo I’M SO HOT (HOT DAMN) FUNKY TIME *DANCE BREAK* IMMA UPTOWN FUCK YOU UP” etc. etc. etc. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more generic song, either. That must be Bruno Mars’ thing, making generic retro-inspired songs. Clever son of a bitch. I know he’s wiping his tears with Benjamins.

And then my mom showed me this video of some attention whore teacher (excuse me) dancing along with his little minions through the hallways of some high school to the tune of none other than Yucktown Suck

School is supposed to be a soul-sucking exercise in futility, not a source of viral videos. source

Now, what about Meghan Trainor? You’ve heard her stuff, right? All About That F Clef? I mean Bass, sorry.


I’m not saying I really dislike her music. I’m into doo-wop and soul and that type of thing. But seriously, is Meghan a real person? Stop that video up there at 0:25 and ask yourself that question. Nope, pretty sure she’s not actually a real person. Just like Katy Perry, I see.

(In case you haven’t heard, Katy Perry isn’t a real person either.)

I won’t hate on her, though, because everyone already thinks she sucks ass—as demonstrated by your local Twitter feed, YouTube comment section, etc. No sense in beating a dead horse. 

[snortles quietly]

So, friends, let’s talk about some French toast now! I’m sure you’re eager to hear about this PEANUT BUTTER-STUFFED BROWNIE FRENCH TOAST. Yeah you are. 

Aw yiss.

After having made vegan challah last week, I was super pumped to try making French toast with it. And along comes Vegan Richa, with a brilliant recipe for chocolate brownie French toast. Yup. Totally had to try that. I left out the salted caramel in favor of just chocolate and peanut butter, but who cares—it’s still insanely rich and insanely good. We’ll save the caramel for next time.

To make sure the bread didn’t get all soggy, I toasted up some slices prior to dipping in the chocolate batter. Worked really nicely. I’m sure that if you for some reason have some stale challah on hand it would work equally well, but who the hell leaves challah hanging around long enough to let it get stale? Not this family.

Here’s the recipe.

___________

Peanut butter-stuffed brownie French toast

Adapted from Vegan Richa

Ingredients

244 grams • nondairy milk • 1 cup

17 grams • all-purpose flour • 2 tablespoons

15 grams • cocoa powder • 3 tablespoons

2 grams • vanilla extract • ½ teaspoon

40 grams • maple syrup • 2 tablespoons

24 grams • granulated sugar • 2 tablespoons

5 grams • vegetable oil • 1 teaspoon

Several slices of toasted challah

Peanut butter, to taste

Directions

In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, maple syrup, sugar, and oil until thoroughly combined.

Spread peanut butter between two slices of challah and sandwich slices together. Dip the sandwich in “brownie batter” and transfer to a well-preheated frying pan. Fry, flipping once, until batter is cooked through. Serve with more peanut butter.

__________

I love the funnies.

The big camera our family shares (yeah right it’s totally my camera) is currently dead and I am too lazy to figure out how to revive the damn thing, so I used an iPhone to take these photos. Forgive the quality—I assure you, this French toast is fucking awesome.

While you’re here, check out these other fabulous peanut buttery recipes.

Peanut butter chocolate layer cake. Happens to be gluten-free too!

Peanut butter and jelly birthday cake. I’ve come a long way with my decorating skills since then.

Peanut butter and jelly Oreos. Why use bread for your PB&J’s when you can use chocolate shortbread?

6 comments:

  1. I neeeeeed this in my life! :D Looks flippin' epic! Never through if putting anything on the toast BEFORE dipping it in the fantasmic thing that is French-toast-making-magic-stuff :) Now I do! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really mindblowing...the peanut butter gets all melty and drippy and wonderful! You should totally try it :)

      Delete
  2. OMG Melty peanut butter sounds amazing! If only I could wipe up my drool with some Benjamins :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cute is that comic background?! :D reminds me of my childhod sundays ah!

    I love pb, brownie, and french toast. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes I must admit that I still read the sunday comics....Nothing wrong with that I guess! Glad you like the French toast :)

      Delete