Thursday, July 9, 2015

Chocolate and toasted coconut quinoa parfaits

chocolate and toasted coconut quinoa parfaits

You ever had a quinoa parfait? Wait—let me ask another question. You ever had not-savory quinoa? Like, sweet quinoa?

Me neither. Not until I tried this parfait.

I always ate quinoa with savory foods. It was always a side dish or mixed in with some kind of vegetable or used as a lame-ass healthy substitute in pasta salad (c’mon, don’t tell me you’d rather have quinoa over pasta). But with sweet foods? Like, say, chocolate? Never thought of it.

So I was intrigued when I saw this recipe from (wait for it) Seriously Delish (again). Much like the banana macaroon smoothie I made from the very same cookbook, this recipe incorporates toasted coconut, an intriguing and very delicious flavor that you really need to try ASAP if you haven’t, as well as chopped dark chocolate and some yogurt (just use your favorite nondairy yogurt). Layer it all together in a glass or a kitschy little jar and whalla, parfait.

Very kitschy indeed.

(Yes, I did clean out a jam jar and save it to use for food blogging purposes. Kill me now. The jam was awesome—we got this sugar plum jam from the local farmer’s market, and oh my god, so good. But I digress.)

The quinoa here is cooked with a combination of coconut milk and water to add a little bit of sweet coconut-y flavor to the psuedocereal. And it works fabulously. For extra coconut flavor, use coconut milk yogurt. The result is a delicious, healthy (and just a little chocolaty) breakfast.   

Here’s the recipe.

_________

Chocolate and toasted coconut quinoa parfaits

Adapted from Seriously Delish by Jessica Merchant

Serves 2

Ingredients

85 grams • quinoa • ½ cup

120 grams • light coconut milk • ½ cup

120 grams • water • ½ cup

2 grams • salt • ¼ teaspoon

368 grams • nondairy yogurt • 1 ½ cups

28 grams • shredded coconut, toasted • 1/3 cup

112 grams • dark chocolate, chopped • 4 ounces

Directions

Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse well. Transfer to a small saucepan and stir in coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Once quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and transfer to a bowl to cool.

To assemble parfaits, use a pretty jar or glass and layer a few tablespoons of quinoa, a few tablespoons of yogurt, and a bit of coconut and chocolate together. Repeat 2 or 3 more times to finish off your parfait. Munch.

_________

The kitsch shall be within you.

For more healthy breakfasts, check out these recipes.

How to make vegan French toast without a recipe. It’s got a banana in it, so it’s health food. Q.E.D.

Olive oil zucchini pancakes. Like zucchini bread in pancake form!


Finnish baked pancakes with blueberry chia jam. In honor of my love of Finland.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm choccy quinoa! I have tried to make that before and it worked fine :) I used it in place of oats though! These parfaits look delicious :D Thanks for the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am totally into the quinoa for breakfast thing now! I will have to make more variations in the future. Glad you like the parfaits :D

      Delete
  2. Nice recipe Thanks for sharing :) my kids loved it. Going to follow you for ever ..... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had a sweet quinoa parfait. Such a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete