Sunday, April 5, 2015

Vegan confetti biscotti

vegan confetti biscotti

Hey there! Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate it, happy Passover to those of you who celebrate that, and happy regular old Sunday to those of you who haven’t got any celebrations to be doing this weekend.

Me, I’m doing some Easter celebrating with family a few states away. And by “celebrating” I mean “eating lots of very rich food and drinking profusely”. It’s only natural. Jesus may have died for our sins, but I may die of diabetes after eating an apple turnover and a hunk of Irish soda bread and a biscotti (see above) for breakfast.

But hey, it’s a holiday, and that’s what you do on holidays in America—you homph gomph until you can barely breathe. And maybe get diabetes.

In honor of the occasion, I made a slightly modified version of this carrot cake I posted a while back. breakfast. I also wanted a breakfast recipe to munch on for Sunday morning—but as I mentioned, my hot cross buns did not work out and as such I was left to ponder what I could possibly make in their stead.

Of course biscotti was the answer.

Perfectly logical thought progression.

I’d had this recipe bookmarked for a while and was looking for an excuse to break out the rainbow sprinkles for a deliciously crunchy breakfast cookie. Why not for Easter? We eat loads of colorful candies and jelly beans (no offense but those things are nasty as fuck), so it seems sprinkles would fit in quite well.

Turns out they do. Everyone loved them. Even the dog. Yes I fed biscotti to the dog. No I don’t know if that’s a good thing to do (probably not). What matters is the dog loves me now and that’s that. 

Basically, if you love sprinkles, then these will be a dream come true. They’re like confetti cake in a form that is crunchy and easy dippable in coffee. What’s not to love?

Here’s the recipe.

__________

Vegan confetti biscotti

Adapted from My Name Is Yeh

Ingredients

408 grams • all-purpose flour • 3 cups

4 grams • baking powder • 1 teaspoon

3 grams • kosher salt • ¾ teaspoon

200 grams • granulated sugar • 1 cup

21 grams • flaxseed meal • 3 tablespoons

150 grams • warm water • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons

218 grams • vegetable oil • 1 cup

12 grams • vanilla extract • 1 tablespoon

40 grams • rainbow sprinkles • ½ cup

Sanding sugar, to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate small bowl, whisk together flaxseed and water; let stand until thickened.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the flaxseed mixture. Add vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until combined. Fold in sprinkles.

Divide dough in half and shape into logs on baking sheet, each about 4 inches wide. Leave plenty of space between each log. Sprinkle the tops with sanding sugar, if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and reduce heat to 250 degrees F. Cut dough into 1-inch pieces and rotate so the inside faces up. Bake for another 20 minutes to achieve the characteristic biscotti crispiness.

___________

Wish the Easter bunny would bring these instead of nasty-ass jelly beans.

If you like the sprinkles in these, then here are some other rainbow-licious recipes for you.

Birthday cake pancakes. Truly like cake for breakfast.

Classic vegan pancakes with rainbow swirl icing. Another colorful way to start the day.

Confetti cookies. A true classic on this blog.

12 comments:

  1. Yes! These biscotti are everything. Must make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should try them! They're so easy and fun :)

      Delete
  2. They look so cute! It is so awesome that they are vegan! thanks for sharing!

    styleandchocolates

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good, and so fun! Perfect for adults with their cuppa and for children to dip in milk, yum!

    It sounds like you've had a much enjoyed Easter :D It is definitely a time to treat oneself a little touch extra to something sweet :) Biscotti are so delicious as well, I have to try and make some again soon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do make biscotti you should try these out, they're awesome! :)

      Delete
  4. I feel like biscotti is the answer to so many of life's questions...especially funfetti biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed! Most importantly the question "what should I have with my coffee" :D

      Delete
  5. Oh these are the best! I am so sad that I missed out on making them for Easter this year. I'm sure I'll find another excuse though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who needs an excuse?? Celebrate life with biscotti!

      Delete
  6. These look so fun, I love them :)

    Katie xoxo

    ReplyDelete